Monday, October 19, 2009

How We Got Started....

In order to tell this story properly, I have to go back. In the grand scheme of things I guess it isn't that far back, it just all seems like such a blur.
I was raised in a Christ-believing family and one thing that I shared with my family for as long as I can remember is a drive and a passion for music. They say that when I was born, I cried loudly as most babies do. Honestly though, I think it was just a song in clever disguise! Thank heaven that my style of "singing" was soon to change.
When I was growing up, I was an independent child from the get go with an incredibly stubborn nature. God knew I would need it, I guess. My parents loved me, my sisters and I loved and hated each other equally. I have many good memories of my childhood, and some very unfortunate, sad ones as well. But, no matter what, I loved to laugh. Through some of the painful things that I remember from my little girl years, I also remember telling myself often that if I could just laugh, I would be okay. If I could say something funny to make someone else laugh, than that would be a very good thing. The funnier the better, the more laughing the better. If I could keep finding something to laugh about, than one day it would all be alright. It became my survival technique through many situations, but it also hid painful things from the view of eyes that I didn't trust. This habit served me well to hide many true feelings as I navigated through the rough waters of teenage life. It has also been my cover in my adult life. I mean, who's going to think that anything is wrong if you just look happy enough?
Don't get me wrong, laughter is excellent medicine for the wounded soul and I have been fortunate enough to often be able to see the funny side of something even if I am in the middle of a rolling storm. It is when you take a good thing to cover things that you should be dealing with that it becomes a problem.
I am the oldest of 4 children, and we are an interesting bunch, I will tell you that! I have 2 younger sisters and a little brother. We all adore each other, and we have been each other's lifeline more than once. I have inherited my father's innate ability to talk forever without stopping, or as my sisters call it, "preaching." My little brother is 15 years younger than I am, but we are just crazy about each other. Just today he showed my his play cell phone, and as soon as you flip it open, there's my picture surrounded with a heart. I teach him French, Spanish, how to eat new things, how to love, and in return that precious child teaches me about life. He's only 8, and most of the time, he's just that. Than other times, out of the blue, he just blows my mind with his wisdom and faith. I remember one day after we had been married about a year, he came up to me and asked me we didn't have any babies. I had learned during that year the true extent of my fertility issues and my heart just broke when he asked me that. I sat down with him, and told him that I didn't know why I didn't have babies but that if he wanted to help he could pray that a baby would find it's way to us. My mother says that he prayed every night till I became pregnant this past summer. However, the day he learned that our baby had gone to Heaven, he was back at it again. Asking God to "please let Gloria and Nathan have a baby." My eyes are tearing up just remembering that.
I have to sign off for now but more "chapters" are to follow. Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment